Tag Archives: BBC

Five Hundred Days Later…

image

… I have finally found a way to continue my wallpaper, that is both practical and yields clear-edged results! HOORAY!
I just had to share the news, but will write more about the method, and the looong way there, later on.

Advertisements

Test Coat Step VI – Lining

Let’s start with the front lining. First of all, I found I had to change the pattern a little there. As you can see in the first picture, I took away some width of the front facing, reducing it to about 15 cm (the line in black ink).

front_lining01

Have a look at what the book has to say about the cut of the lining pieces:

front_lining00

As you can see, it’s quite straightforward. I decided against the darts, since I do not have the shoulder arrow on the outside piece, either, and the vertical reduction seam (that starts at the armscye) is so narrow, in my pattern, thatI do not think it will make a difference with regard to the fit. Besides… the lazy bunch at Belstaff obviously didn’t do either of those darts anyway 😉 Continue reading Test Coat Step VI – Lining

Test Coat Step V – Lapel and front facing

To prepare the front edge of the coat, we need two long strips (about 1 cm wide) of lining fabric, cut on bias.

front_facing00

On the lapel, baste the bias stripe onto the hair canvas (in the picture, the tape is placed on the edge of the hair canvas, but not basted yet).

front_facing04

At the waist, make a short cut into the hair canvas and move the bias tape between the outer fabric and the interfacing. Continue reading Test Coat Step V – Lapel and front facing

Test Coat Step IV – Pockets

Finally I get to write a little update here. It’s not that I haven’t made any progress, I just preferred making things to posting about them, due to time restrictions…

I finished the pockets despite, as you will be able to see in the pictures, some problems with my sewing machine, specifically thread tension.

pocket001pocket002

First, I copied the pattern, added the to be folded facing part at the top of the pocket (about 1”) and cut a corresponding piece of lining, as you can see in the second picture.

Continue reading Test Coat Step IV – Pockets

Wallpaper issues…

Just wanted to let you know that I have not dropped dead from some sudden illness, or vanished for good. There are several reasons why this page hasn’t been updated for some time, most of them to do with stupid Real Life developments.

But, alas, there is another reason why there weren’t any progress reports on The Wallpaper, in particular. After two more or less successful rows I had to face the fact that my MO was not practical, not economically sensible, and not healthy, either.

Not practical, as the cardboard stencil could only be employed with the help of another person to either do the spraying, or fixating the stencil.

Not economic, because to achieve the intended colour density and uniformity, I used up about one can of spray paint per row.

Not healthy because using that amount of paint in a closed space makes said space more or less unusable for at least one or two days; and that’s leaving aside the fact that there’s no way to avoid breathing in the stuff while doing the spraying itself. Short of a gas mask, I mean.

All this doesn’t mean I’m going to give up on the project, though, as I do own a vinyl cutter… A late inspiration, I know 😉 The thing hasn’t been used in years but Internet research assures me there are still ways to get it working, so the Wallpaper Project shall return once I’ve actually figured it out.

Right now I’m looking into mixing the colour of the first two rows from… varnish? lacquer? You know what I’m talking about, to match the existing bits. Although, knowing my stupid perfectionist self there is a real danger I’ll redo those first rows if the rest works much better, anyway……

I’ll keep you posted.

Test Coat Step III – The Belt

For the most part, making the belt was straightforward – I’m not entirely happy with it, though. You’ll see why, in a minute.

The four belt pieces are identical in shape. I chalked the rounded corners on the wool pieces as well as two pieces of the light hair canvas (believing that interfacing only one of the backing parts of each belt-half ought to suffice… then).

belt01

Continue reading Test Coat Step III – The Belt

Update on The Wallpaper

It is more time-consuming than I would have hoped, but I am very pleased with the result, so far! The edges are not as clear-cut as if they were printed, of course, but I rather like the slightly fuzzy effect from close up – and from a distance, you don’t really see it anyway.

wallpaper_wall02

So, together with my friend, I managed the bottom row tonight, except for the left-hand corner, where we’d have had to remove the power socket, which was really impossible because my computer’s plugged in there, and we needed the audio drama running 🙂

wallpaper_closeup01