The upper back was far less difficult than I had feared.
Darts and centre box pleat
I closed the darts, then used a lot of steam on them and beat them with a (decidedly unhandy and weird) piece of wood, as suggested by Jessamygriffin on her blog. (If you haven’t checked it out yet, you really ought to.) I tried my best to hit the seam itself, not the dart fabric, and I am pleased with the result.
I then closed the centre seam that starts at the middle of the neck opening down to where the pleat starts. I ironed the box pleat, again using a ridiculous amount of steam, and kept hitting the poor thing for quite some time. The result are reasonably crisp edges, as I hope you can see in the pictures. I’ll probably try and obtain, or make, a more suitable clapper – since the ready-made ones I’ve seen on the Internet so far are incredibly expensive for a piece of wood 😉
The close-up shows the triangle I stitched right above the pleat, through all three layers of fabric there.
I then cut back the excessive fabric at the centre back seam above the pleat using pinking shears. I’m not sure if that was the best idea…
In this picture you see the piece of hair canvas I’m going to pad onto it now.
And here’s what it looks like now that I’ve finished padding it on: